Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome General
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome General
Subject Topic: Automation display Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
onhiatus

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 25 2006 at 19:23 | IP Logged Quote onhiatus

Wow, the RedRadio solution is beautiful - simple and elegant. Working with any software program - at least anyone that supports a VGA screen.

Now if only the price would come down - I'm never going to talk the wife into letting me spend $1200...

I'd love to hear about it if anyone has done anything with these.
Back to Top View onhiatus's Profile Search for other posts by onhiatus Visit onhiatus's Homepage

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: April 25 2006 at 19:33 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

7" or 8" would be a good size, too. Too bad that is as much as the 15's a few of us got.

The Red Radio system is nice. They ran a contest at Coccontech.com and one of the guys won a complete system. I have not heard of others there buying this, though.
Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

Manny

Posted: May 09 2006 at 16:40 | IP Logged Quote Manny

Ok don't laugh.
I ended up getting 2 Touch Screen Tablet Computers.
Fujitsu Stylistic 3500s, for all the advantages of not taxing my poor old little PH machine.

I have to keep them hidden from the wife until everthing's working and looking good.

Also on this forum I learned about Xlobby and have started goofing around with that as a front end. I currently modified an existing "skin" to pull up my PowerHome web pages for automation.

PS.
There was a nice reference to PowerHome in the Xlobby forum.
Back to Top View Manny's Profile Search for other posts by Manny

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: May 09 2006 at 23:17 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

LOL! Sorry.

Those 3500's were making the rounds on CocoonTech. Seem nice!
Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: May 11 2006 at 16:37 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Manny,

Hehe, how long do you think you'll have to keep them hidden?

I'll have to look up the Fujitsu 3500 as Im not familiar with it. I recently got one of those Intermec 5055B touchscreens but havent had a chance to play with it yet.

Thanks for catching the info on the XLobby forum. I always like to read what others are saying and occasionally Google around to see what info I can turn up.

Keep me posted on your XLobby progress and let me know if you encounter any problems.

Also, the next beta will have greatly increased Control Center functionality with additional controls. Im hoping to be able to minimize the need for other Frontends.

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

Manny

Posted: May 11 2006 at 17:23 | IP Logged Quote Manny

I'll probably wait until after her next trip to the shopping mall.

Xlobby will minimize the leeching of Tony's graphics.

Plus the interface allows me to have either a Powerhome web page within an Xlobby screen or to send commands to PH via some external application feature.

In a nutshell it allows me to leverage the artistic talent of actual graphic designers, which will surely raise the WAF (she's not hip to my stick figure drawings).

Regarding the forthcoming CC functionality, it would be cool, to have my touchscreen PCs run a PH client as opposed to a webbrowser. I totally think you should hit Xlobby with integration (via a plugin or something)perhaps offer them a discount on PH. You totally beat other products in a bang for bucks comparison.

When I'm done I'll share an AVI or WMV with the forum.

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: May 11 2006 at 21:04 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Manny,

Looking forward to the AVI.

A standalone Control Center client is in the works. It'll be a little bit (after the release version) but is definately planned.

I havent done much research so Im not sure what XLobby exposes for interfacing with external applications. When I finish the plug-in interface, it'll definately be something to look into.

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

Manny

Posted: May 23 2006 at 04:57 | IP Logged Quote Manny

Here's a small low quality video. I'll post something nicer when I'm done.
video link

onhiatus

Posted: May 23 2006 at 20:46 | IP Logged Quote onhiatus

Ok, this is probably not the right location to ask, but it is on the same topic and you all are a bright bunch, so...

I bought an Intermec Adara 2075 Win95 touch screen tablet to use as a display / input. It's not color, but was very cheap (<$40) and it looks very solid (actually it looks armored). Unforunately I didn't look that carefully at the specs - it doesn't have a network, USB, or even a PC card slot. It has a PS2 keyboard port, IR port, serial port, and a parallel port. It also has a built in 2.4 wireless network adapter, but it appears to be totally proprietory.

So I can write a custom interface that talks over the serial port, but that seems kind of limited (not to mention difficult) compared to using PH to host a webpage.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to integrate this beast with my home network? I've spent some time searching on the internet but have not come up with any nice suggestions...
Back to Top View onhiatus's Profile Search for other posts by onhiatus Visit onhiatus's Homepage

Manny

Posted: May 23 2006 at 22:26 | IP Logged Quote Manny

As far as networking goes serial/parallel networking cables exist, but to keep it wireless, plug a firecracker into it. You can then at least send x10 signals to your PowerHome server.
You won't be using it for internet browsing but you can still use it as an input display unit.
Software exists including PowerHome that can control these serial devices and you can still make your own display (eg. internal web pages) for your automation needs.

Edited by Manny - May 23 2006 at 22:37

onhiatus

Posted: May 24 2006 at 12:46 | IP Logged Quote onhiatus

Thanks, but I definitely do not want to make this my main automation machine - I just want to use it as a remote display / input.

If I could even figure out how to access specific web pages through a serial connection it would help.

Hmm, I could wrap an ie window in a custom app... but figuring out how to get this on my home network (wired or wireless) would be the best solution.

Any other suggestions?

Manny

Posted: May 24 2006 at 16:39 | IP Logged Quote Manny

My suggestion was more akin to using your touch screen as a palm pad (oneway x10 communication). I used to network old pc's with serial or parallel cables way back in my Amiga computer days.I don't see why this would not be possible with Windows.
On the other hand it could have been just for file transfers (too long ago for me to remember.)

I found the following via Google.
Kanda PC Interfaces - Internet-Ethernet - Single Port Boxes

link

http://www.kanda.com/browse.php3?node=123&semisupport=

It costs twice as much as your tablet.

onhiatus

Posted: May 24 2006 at 19:22 | IP Logged Quote onhiatus

Yeah, these are the kind of solutions I was finding as well. Unfortunately they don't get the computer networked, rather they make the serial port accessable via a network (i.e. set up a virtual serial port). You could use this to talk to a serial data collection device, (or the computer), but I don't see how to use this to get the computer on the network.

There were a few proprietory parallel to parallel port networking solutions: "Aviator Easy Parallel Port Wireless Networking" and "Intel AnyPoint PhoneLine Home Network" that might work, but seems very awkward.

I believe there are also some powerline solutions, but I got to believe that would play havoc with my x10 stuff.

Thanks for the suggestions

Manny

Posted: May 24 2006 at 19:30 | IP Logged Quote Manny

I'm pretty surprised nothing jumps out, as most people started networking using serial connections SLIP and PPP protocols are meant for modem tcp/ip and DCC direct cable connections. I think Microsoft has articles regarding DCC.

onhiatus

Posted: May 24 2006 at 19:46 | IP Logged Quote onhiatus

Yeah, it seems *relatively* easy to network to computers together to share files, slightly harder to share a internet connection, and downright difficult to properly network them. But even in this last case, the computer is only networked to the other computer

I suppose this computer could then bridge to the rest of the network. What I was hoping for was a slow serial or parallel to cat5 network adapter. Or some clever hack for this specific hardware, or...

Probably not likely. Looks like I'll be writting something. Thanks.

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: May 25 2006 at 14:05 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Well I don't have anything to offer on the most recent comments to this thread...sorry Onhiatus.

However, I did want to comment on your video Manny. It's fantastic. Appreciate you posting this for all to see and look forward the finished video. It never ceases to amaze me at the things that you, Tony, and Peter come up with. Great work.

Ive been looking at XLobby and would like to build some integration in. It obviously wont make the next beta and will have to come after the release, but it's definately something that I'd like to pursue. Just curious what method you're using now for your current level of integration. If I had to guess, I would think that you're using the SendMessage capability of XLobby to communicate commands to PowerHome.

Keep up the good work,

Dave.

Manny

Posted: May 25 2006 at 19:09 | IP Logged Quote Manny

Thanks Dave, means a lot.
I gave props to you and Tony on Google once I learned there was a "credits" section.

From Xlobby to PH: I use PowerHome Socket Server Command Line Controller 1.00.1
This is a breeze , I just have it send PH formulas.

From PowerHome to Xlobby: I use PowerHome Distributed Control Client version 1.00.0
I use sendkeys in PH and an Xlobby hotkey plug-in to change the status buttons in Xlobby. Not smart enough to figure out how to get PH to update Xlobby's db tables.

It would be awesome if someone with programming skills gets involved for less duct tape and chicken wire integration (I don't like the hotkey solution I have.)

Also, anyone who wants my modified skin can have it. I'll figure out a place to serve it. I just ask that you let me see whatever improvements you add. That way I can learn by copying.

Regarding Xap, it sounds very powerful. Hopefully you can add it, as I feel left out when others mention it on other forums.

Manny

Posted: June 21 2006 at 19:17 | IP Logged Quote Manny

Hey Dave,
I'm just about ready to post my latest changes. Most likely this weekend.

167 views of the Google video. I swear only 5 of the views are mine.

Hope this brings you some more users.
I've noticed that each new user brings a valuable post to this forum. While waiting for the next user manual or your future release of "wizards"; this is where I get all my answers.

Progress:
Still using Xlobby as the Interface until your Client Control Center is ready. There are some other free comparable programs out there, but so far there hasn't been a reason to abandon XLobby. The drag and drop of graphic elements was key for me as try as I might I am just not a code jockey.

I envy those of you that are wired like that. It takes me an hour to get 1 formula right.

Anywho...
It's a mash up of different programs.
PowerHome has the automation detail. Basically lights and home theater. I've got all the IR codes into PH (finally). Remote Central's code database helped when for 1 reason or another the learning feature would fail on 1 out of 30 buttons. I've learned what "discreet codes" means.
Along with PH IR, a free program called WIRNS handles my tv listings, and schedules my DVRs (a couple of ReplayTVs).

I bought a 16 cam security cctv card from ebay, which I'll eventually replace as it forces IE vs. Firefox plus is not wdm or compatible with anything but the program it came with. If it weren't for being forced to use IE I'd still be using Tony's Firefox-centric code and graphics (thanks again Tony). The card was more for the doggy cams than security. Getting the multiple Ninjas working via the web has not gotten old yet.

Next on the list are automated drapes/curtains, HVAC, and irrigation.

all for now...

Edited by Manny - June 21 2006 at 19:21

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: June 23 2006 at 23:19 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Manny,

Looking forward to seeing the new video this weekend. Let us know when it's up.

Dave.

Manny

Posted: July 13 2006 at 14:15 | IP Logged Quote Manny

Not allowed to play until all my chores are done.

Almost done with all the yard work...

Marriage--gotta love it...

Updated videos etc. in the XLobby Thread here: Powerhome & Xlobby

Edited by Manny - November 30 2006 at 02:18

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version