Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome Hardware
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome Hardware
Subject Topic: X10 Not Being Received on Powerlinc 2413S Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
GCollins
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 03 2015 at 14:15 | IP Logged Quote GCollins

Hello all. I'm running PH v2.1.4 with a Smarthome/Insteon Powerlinc 2413S modem. All of my devices operate in X-10 mode.

My 2413S (Rev 1.5) recently died, and Smarthome replaced it under warranty with a Rev 2.0 unit. It works for sending X10 commands, but any that are transmitted by other devices are
apparently not seen by PH (not acted upon by macros, and not recorded in the event log even though X10 receipt logging is enabled).

Assuming the problem was with the replacement modem, I called Smarthome who gave me a rather amazing answer. They said licensing of the X10 protocol was no longer available, so they
phased out X10 support on the 2413 beginning with Rev 1.3 firmware (nonsense, since that's older than the Rev 1.5 I originally had). The tech said my new Rev 2.0 device does not even
send X10 commands (more nonsense, since mine clearly does). He also said there was no way to upgrade/downgrade the 2413 firmware after manufacturing.

After repeatedly informing the tech that my new 2413S was in fact sending X10 commands, he said the X10 phase-out was actually gradual over each firmware release. Then he checked with a
senior tech and changed his answer entirely, saying the problem with X10 receipt might just be with the PH software not supporting the newer firmware (the latest is Rev 2.3).

Well, here I am asking for greater knowledge of this subject on the PH forums...

Indeed, if you look the 2413S up on Smarthome's web site, X10 support is no longer mentioned. That's sad. Any advice for a guy sticking with X10 for the foreseeable future? Should I
upgrade to PH v2.1.5? Should I move to another brand/model of modem or controller? My needs in an interface are simple: send and receive X10 in real-time. I'll let PowerHome do
the rest!

Edited by GCollins - March 03 2015 at 14:18
Back to Top View GCollins's Profile Search for other posts by GCollins

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: March 03 2015 at 14:55 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

G,

Very interesting to hear that SmartHome is doing this. Had not heard that they were phasing X10 out in the PLM's (although did see it was not supported in the newer Insteon Hub's).

Unfortunately, upgrading PowerHome shouldnt yield any difference as the X10 section of the code has not changed for years. The first thing I would do though is open the Insteon Explorer and monitor the Raw Log (X10 commands as well as Insteon will show here) and see if anything is coming in X10-wise externally. If nothing registers, then my guess is that they phased out incoming X10 in the firmware of your unit. Unless they actually changed the X10 protocol in your firmware version (highly unlikely), then there would be nothing I could change in PowerHome to get it working.

Let me know if you see ANYTHING incoming when sending X10 commands from other devices. If something is recognized by the controller, it should show in the raw log and if it does, then I may be able to program for it. If it doesnt show anything at all, then there won't be anything I can do.

Your best bet is probably trying to pick up an older CM11A or SmartHome PowerLinc serial/usb (these are X10 only devices) off of Ebay or similar. You may also want to check this site http://jvde.us/xtb_index.htm for new pre-assembled/kit versions of the CM11A. Another PowerHome user has reported great success with this unit (XTB-232).

Let me know,

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

GCollins
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: March 03 2015 at 15:38 | IP Logged Quote GCollins

Dave,

I used PH Explorer to turn off a light, and 4 entries immediately showed up in the Insteon Raw Log (TX 20 63 59 00, RX SENTX10=59 00 06, TX 02 63 53 80, RX SENT X10=53 80
06). I then used a Lightolier controller to turn the light back on, but nothing was logged. I repeated the test with a different light and a different IR543 controller
to turn it back on, with similar results.

Incidentally, I got an error message when I checked the box to "Echo Raw Log to File".

I have never used a CM11A, but I do see that they are available. I also stumbled across the more expensive XTB-232 earlier. What might I expect from either one? I need
to implement X10 preset dims into some of my transmissions.

I am still a bit stunned that Smarthome may have killed the receipt of X10 data, and am just wondering if something is wrong with my new PLM. Is it worth checking
various settings in PH?

Thank you.

Edited by GCollins - March 03 2015 at 15:39

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: March 03 2015 at 20:18 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

G,

Seriously doubt anything is wrong with the PLM. Since
this appears to be a trend (as evidenced by dropping
X10 support in the new Insteon hub) and based upon the
tech saying that they're "phasing" x10 support out, my
guess is that they started this phasing by dropping
the x10 receive support. There would be no settings in
PowerHome that you could change as what shows in the
raw log is what PowerHome see's from the PLM. There
isnt a setting that would effect this.

Concerning your error message when trying to check
"Echo Raw Log to File", you must first set the
directory and filename that the log will use under the
controller settings for your PLM (PH Explorer -
PowerHome>Setup>Controllers>Settings). Once you do
this, restart PH and then you can check the echo box.

Concerning the CM11A....this was always my favorite
X10 controller because I though it handled dim/bright
commands better than any other controller and seemed
to be the only one that could handle incoming extended
x10 commands (alot of controllers handle sending
extended commands but fail on incoming). Anyways, it
should have no problem handling preset dims.

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

GCollins
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: March 03 2015 at 20:40 | IP Logged Quote GCollins

Dave,

Thanks for the reassurance on the CM11A. I found one cheap and ordered it. If it works well, I may buy the XTB-232 as my primary and keep the CM11A as a backup.
I read through all the details on the XTB website and am convinced they know what they're doing and have a more robust interface module than the original.

GCollins
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: March 09 2015 at 22:22 | IP Logged Quote GCollins

The CM11A is working and my 2-way communication has been
restored.

Thanks again,
G

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: March 09 2015 at 23:39 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

G,

Glad to hear it

Dave.

gg102

Posted: March 11 2015 at 11:27 | IP Logged Quote gg102

G,

I use the XTB-232 and I can tell you it's completely solid and communicates with your x10 devices very reliably.

The CM11a, for me, was not reliable communicating with x10 devices.

Back to Top View gg102's Profile Search for other posts by gg102

GCollins
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: March 11 2015 at 11:40 | IP Logged Quote GCollins

GG,

Thank you. I have an inquiry in with the
designer/manufacturer now. I am also looking at the XTB-
IIR to perhaps solve some additional problems. I'll
report back on the ultimate solution.

gg102

Posted: March 11 2015 at 15:59 | IP Logged Quote gg102

G,

You'll find that Jeff is very responsive and will answer your questions promptly and with good information.

Your X10 devices will work very reliably once you start using the XTB232. Also, the XTB232 restarts reliably after a power failure, while the cm11a has all kinds of issues recovering from a power failure.

I also bought the XTBM X10 Meter, to test the signal level. The CM11a sends out a very weak signal, but the XTB232 sends out a VERY STRONG signal. I'll bet that you won't have any more issues with X10 once you start using the XTB232.

Back to Top View gg102's Profile Search for other posts by gg102

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version