Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome Feature Requests
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome Feature Requests
Subject Topic: Manyman’s WishList Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Manny

Online Status: Offline
Posted: September 02 2006 at 03:11 | IP Logged Quote Manny

dhoward wrote:
Also, the next beta will have greatly increased Control Center functionality with additional controls. Im hoping to be able to minimize the need for other Frontends.

Automation Display Thread

As a Senior Member I am demanding the following.

(totally in jest ; watch me get demoted)
Following is my humble opinion/request.

Frontends are nice, but I'm not sure it should be at/near the top of the development queue. Especially not at the expense of other functionality. Reason being is that 3rd party Frontends might work just as well, but maybe more importantly grow the PH community with members from those 3rd party frontend user groups.

Not knowing your roadmap, I would think the following are up there:

• perfecting existing functionality (bug fixes)
  • adding new hardware compatability (ELK,UPB, Zwave, Music Streaming Devices, Global Cache <not sure what for, but it sure looks kewl>)

You know, nevermind the above, what is your current roadmap? Not asking for dates as you're not the greatest at that , just your latest to-do list with tentative season/year. That way if it's hardware, I can start saving for it. I've seen other posts where stuff is mentioned for the next beta, but not sure what the made the final cut.

My personal wish list:

• Wizards (Macro and Formula creator <I have PH and WinAmp, now what?>)
  • Plug-in Interface (for those 3rd Party people)Maybe xap/XPL?
  • Examples added to the definitions in the Documentation for each Formula Function (probably make it the size of a phonebook, but hey, it's my wish list.)
  • FrontEnd (ok a prettier default control center is still on my list)

Of couse what do I know? Easy Ready-made Eye Candy may be a strong selling point. I think it swayed that HouseBot Guy. Plus, if you're almost done coding the new CC forget the above spiel.
Back to Top View Manny's Profile Search for other posts by Manny

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: September 15 2006 at 22:16 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Manny,

You have been officially demoted ...just kidding.

I understand exactly where you're coming from .

My current roadmap looks like this:

Finish the current beta. This next version will include the enhanced Control Center (Add static graphics, graphic buttons, static text, rectangles, etc.). Also a new Control Center design window which should be a definate improvement. The next version also includes an entirely new Insteon Explorer window allowing you to manage and maintain all things Insteon. Numerous bug fixes and enhancements as well as reports, etc. Im a little biased, but I believe this will be the end-all Insteon configuration util to rule them all and in the darkness bind them.

After the next beta, Elk M1 support as a controller will be added. This will be a relatively quick beta as it will be all I am working on other than bug fixes.

Assuming that no major bugs surface, I will then start revamping the whole manual and help files. This will be a near total rewrite to match the new functionality. Once the manual and help are up to snuff, we will then get our next release version of PowerHome.

After the release, the roadmap of added functionality and approximate order of adding would be:

Global Cache and CM15A
Stargate as a controller
xap/XPL
Plugin interface
UPB
Zwave
Wizard Screens.

Of course the development will always have bug fixes and numerous smaller enhancements that are too numerous to list here.

Hope this helps,

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

krommetje
Super User
Super User

Posted: September 16 2006 at 01:42 | IP Logged Quote krommetje

dhoward wrote:

Global Cache and CM15A

the CM15A sounds like a very good controler... and with the RF receiver (or Transceiver?) built-in.... however since the CM15A is purely intended for the US market... Like Insteon I am fishing behind the net...

Quote:

Plugin interface

and Can we program Plug-ins ourselves and would there be a possibility to place them on power-home.com for download? What in the name of beelzebup is UPB???

Quote:

Zwave
Wizard Screens.

no no no no... these should be at the top of the list (when Manny can "Demand" I can do too.... )

Peter

Edited by krommetje - September 16 2006 at 01:47
Back to Top View krommetje's Profile Search for other posts by krommetje Visit krommetje's Homepage

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: September 16 2006 at 11:28 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

UPB is yet another automation powerline protocol. Like Insteon (and X10), there are some issues to be worked out.

Dave: Good news! Thanks for the road map. Ever thought about using a wiki (or similar) so that the more-experienced portion of the community could help out with the docs?
Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

Manny

Posted: September 18 2006 at 19:09 | IP Logged Quote Manny

Thanks for the reply.

1 more request:
Would you add ZigBee for the year 2010?

Back to Top View Manny's Profile Search for other posts by Manny

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: September 18 2006 at 21:17 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

For others reading this, keep in mind that ZigBee <> Z-Wave.
Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: September 20 2006 at 22:05 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Peter,

Yes, the plug-in interface would allow users to create their own PowerHome interfaces and I'll definately make a place on the web so users can upload.

Tony,

Having a Wiki where users could help with the docs would be awesome. I'll look into this after the next beta is out.

Manny,

Ive been keeping my eyes on Zigbee as well. Until recently there was really no way for the smaller HA author to get into but it looks like that is starting to change.

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version