Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome Feature Requests
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome Feature Requests
Subject Topic: Multiple Sound Card Support Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
UpstateMike

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 18 2006 at 10:16 | IP Logged Quote UpstateMike

I noticed recently that you can get a USB attached sound card device such as this one:

Turtle Beach Amigo

pretty cheaply and I was thinking that it might be a good way to do zoned announcements. If you had several of these connected and could designate which device(s) to use in playing a TTS message or wav file, you would effectively have zoned announcements. In theory you could even have the system speaking different things in different places at the same time.

Does this seem like something that could work?
Back to Top View UpstateMike's Profile Search for other posts by UpstateMike

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: March 19 2006 at 02:06 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Mike,

It might work...but I would have to see if the Microsoft TTS has a way to choose the sound card that it uses. I believe that it only sends speech to the default sound card, but I will look into it.

Another way to do zoned TTS (very shortly) will be with the next DCC release. The Distributed Control Client will support TTS shortly and you'll be able to trigger TTS from within PowerHome. With multiple machines on a network, this should work nicely.

I'll do some studying and let you know.

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

UpstateMike

Posted: March 19 2006 at 11:53 | IP Logged Quote UpstateMike

After doing some more reading it looks like you can't do multiple sound cards very easily in a Microsoft OS because the device drivers usually don't allow for multiple instances of the same sound card hardware. Some people have got it working by mixing different brands of sound cards but that is not the reliable solid solution I was looking for.

DCC sounds cool but I'm not sure how many complete PCs I want to have running 24/7 to support core automation stuff. Maybe I should start researching some sort of small fanless, diskless, PC that could work as a DCC appliance.
Back to Top View UpstateMike's Profile Search for other posts by UpstateMike

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: March 19 2006 at 17:16 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Great news Dave!

I plan on using the new DCC on my kids PC's as additional zones (I need to maintain them anyway). Also, I'll use it on my touch screen; instant addition of a foyer zone!
Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: March 20 2006 at 02:04 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Thats good news Tony. I'll be working on bringing the DCC up to date real soon and will keep you posted.

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version