Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome Feature Requests
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome Feature Requests
Subject Topic: EzRain Device type needed Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Paul_PDX

Online Status: Offline
Posted: September 14 2006 at 20:22 | IP Logged Quote Paul_PDX

You might want to see if Simplehomenet would want to get you onboard with supporting these.   Their developer follows the Insteon SDK forum and was answering questions for me today so I decideded to order one.

The EzRain is an Insteon or X10 controlled 8/7 zone Insteon sprinkler controller. Simplehomenet has other Insteon products in the pipe, but so far you can only order the EzRain.

I think I can use PH_Insteon commands from power-home to control it without having to need anything new but specific macros for it might be more powerfull.

Some info on it:
It can be run under programmed control of a home automation system or it can have simple timer programs downloaded to it to run four different programs autonomously.

Documentation looks pretty good (even complete command tables provided for Insteon programming) and there is a standalone program for setting it up for standalone operation.

Their website is at:
http://www.simplehomenet.com

It is nice to see the first Insteon third party hardware device. I'll report on how it works with PH when it shows up.
Back to Top View Paul_PDX's Profile Search for other posts by Paul_PDX

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: September 15 2006 at 22:52 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Paul,

Ive been following your posts on the SDK forum and will definately look into it. Ive reviewed the programming sheet and it looks like basic functionality should be supported by PowerHome automatically but extended setup would require dedicated functions.

Please let us know how your testing goes and I will see about getting a test unit to add support for shortly.

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

Paul_PDX

Posted: October 03 2006 at 20:43 | IP Logged Quote Paul_PDX

I received my EzRain V1 from Simplehomenet last week - Using their provided (by download) software a PLC and a SDM it seems easy to set up up to four programs containing up to eight zones per program. You can also set up default on times for manual control of the zone. These run times are all stored in the EzRain. Zone 8 can also be set up as a master pump zone but I didn't try that (or figure out how yet).

Additionally using your PLC and the SDM the software allows you to store program times in the PLC to fire off either programs or individual zone. Programmed times can also include the days of the week to be fired off. These times are stored in the PLC and do not require a PC to be running for the schedule to run.

The only negative I saw with their software is that it does not seem tp retry on failed communications -- I originally had both my PLC and the EzRain plugged into a power strip that seemed to suck the life out of the Insteon signal. Any missed communications their setup program seemed to die. Once I hooked it up in my real enviroment that problem seemed to be gone.

I also briefly tried using power-home to fire off individual zones and that seemed to work fine but I had not figured out all of the power-home commands to read back status from it. It would appear that combinations of power-home and the stored timers would work (since it just uses TimerCoreApp12.slb).

I am hoping next weekend to set it up to run a few of my spreinkler zones to see how well it actually functions for a week (watch it decide to rain). I also have a new version of power-home to deploy so once I see how it is going I will post some more.

I will also post any macros I have come up with to run or querry this thing.
Back to Top View Paul_PDX's Profile Search for other posts by Paul_PDX

crisx
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: March 25 2007 at 20:55 | IP Logged Quote crisx

I know native support for the simplehomenet products is on the to-do list, and would just like to add my request to the list. I just ordered an EZRain, and support for the extended commands would be great.

As always, thanks for all of your hard work!

Paul_PDX: Any macros or other useful information would be much appreciated!
Back to Top View crisx's Profile Search for other posts by crisx

UpstateMike

Posted: March 31 2007 at 18:45 | IP Logged Quote UpstateMike

I also just ordered an EZIO8SA and am wondering how I am going to manage the links. Any update on when the SimpleHomenet support will be added?
Back to Top View UpstateMike's Profile Search for other posts by UpstateMike

ginigma

Posted: May 10 2007 at 22:08 | IP Logged Quote ginigma

I just installed my EZRain controller this evening. Did you guys use any specific device type? Or make up your own? Any gotcha's I should know about in general?

Dave, native support for the device would be nice

crisx
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: May 11 2007 at 00:58 | IP Logged Quote crisx

I have installed mine a few days ago as well. I have not yet been able to get it to work with PowerHome, but I haven't put a lot of time into it.

I would also appreciate any tips or suggestions anyone could provide.
Back to Top View crisx's Profile Search for other posts by crisx

jbbtex

Posted: May 28 2007 at 12:17 | IP Logged Quote jbbtex

I have an EZIO2X4. I manually linked it to an ICON dimmer.

With link spidering turned on in PH, the EZIO was dicovered and indentified as a 2414U/2414S PowerLinc Controller named "New Spider 1".
Back to Top View jbbtex's Profile Search for other posts by jbbtex

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version