Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome General
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome General
Subject Topic: Need help processing emails Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
onhiatus

Online Status: Offline
Posted: November 18 2006 at 22:19 | IP Logged Quote onhiatus

So I am trying to add some remote control via email. I've got a dedicated account for powerhome, set up as the only email account in Outlook (I don't use my powerhome machine for email).

I would like to support simple English commands things like "Heater On". I don't want to force any specific subject as most often this will be coming via an sms to email gateway. Each incoming email should generate a return email that would contain a response, and overall status. An email that did not parse (or was empty) would just return an overall status (Heater On, Lights Off, etc...)

So the question is how can I get the email to parse? ph_processemail won't work because it only gets emails that have "sendkeys", "formula", and "macro". I need something that will get all emails. Is this possible? Or will I need to do this outside of powerhome?

Thanks, Tony

Back to Top View onhiatus's Profile Search for other posts by onhiatus Visit onhiatus's Homepage

narc
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: November 21 2006 at 12:08 | IP Logged Quote narc

Edited by narc - January 25 2007 at 21:39
Back to Top View narc's Profile Search for other posts by narc

onhiatus

Posted: November 21 2006 at 12:59 | IP Logged Quote onhiatus

Sounds good, but if I spend $1K I'm going to loose more than the meager WAF points I've finally started to build.

I don't need anything that fancy. I'll probably just end up using a set of Outlook rules or write a simple C program to parse incoming emails. I have complete access to the server so I could even skip the pop3 / mapi issues making it a pretty simple app...

I'm just amazed that PH can't handle it given that it has most of the support it needs. Dave, how about a set of powerHome functions. Something like:
    ph_getMailCount() - Returns a count of available messages
    ph_getMailHeader(index) - returns sender, date, subject in local variables
    ph_getMailBody(index) - returns text of mail body
    ph_deleteMail(index) - deletes the mail at index
Add a trigger for new mail received and you've got everything you need to do anything! Without the trigger polling would still work well enough. Com'on Dave - certainly you don't have enough features on your todo list.
Back to Top View onhiatus's Profile Search for other posts by onhiatus Visit onhiatus's Homepage

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: November 21 2006 at 13:46 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Tony...always trying to add more work for me . Actually, these items are already on the to-do list (was looking for them myself ), just down on priority.

However, like you said, Ive already got most of the infrastructure there so it shouldnt take great deal of effort. I'll see what I can do to get something for you in the next beta.

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

onhiatus

Posted: November 27 2006 at 16:41 | IP Logged Quote onhiatus

Hmm, maybe you need to share the burden.

What's the status on the plugin interface?

As if you need more to keep you on your toes...

-Tony

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: December 07 2006 at 13:32 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Tony,

You'll be happy to hear that the next version will have include version 1.1 of the PowerHome generic plugin SDK. There are currently two plugin interfaces planned (one specifically for controllers and one for general application use) and this one is the general application use one. Im sure that it will evolve over time but this should at least get people started.

Ive also gone ahead and written the first plugin which is the general email support plugin. Also included will be a VB 6 activex skeleton with all the necessary code to get started with writing plugins.

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

onhiatus

Posted: December 08 2006 at 14:05 | IP Logged Quote onhiatus

Excellent!

Any rought idea on when we can expect the next version? I've got a couple apps that could probably be migrated to useful plugins...

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: December 08 2006 at 21:36 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Very soon I hope. A quick little roadmap.

First, PowerHome will displaying in the SmartHome pavilion at CES in January 2007. So Im working very hard to get a release version out before then.

So, in order to do that, the next version should have fixes for all previous reported problems, some last minute enhancements and support for the Elk M1G as a controller. Once this is out, I'll pause development and work feverishly on the new manual and documentation.

Any bugs reported will then be addressed and once the manual is done, we should have release version 1.4 of PowerHome.

So, in order to make my timeframe, I would expect the next version to be out in a couple of weeks.

Dave.

theowl
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: February 02 2007 at 16:24 | IP Logged Quote theowl

I'm looking for something similar, except I just want to update the house status according to e-mail content.

From other visits to the forum, I recall something about controlling PH through the command line. So, a few scripts should be no problem.

I'm going to try to install an e-mail client capable of starting applications via mail filtering rules and have it fire the scripts for updates. Then, I can use the filters to fire any script upon any command I choose.

Just my small contribution.

Owl
Back to Top View theowl's Profile Search for other posts by theowl

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: February 02 2007 at 22:05 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Owl, PH can already act on inbound email.
Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

theowl
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: February 03 2007 at 00:58 | IP Logged Quote theowl

Did I miss something? I thought PH would only act on the e-mail if it was formated correctly? The e-mail I'm looking to trigger on is from an automation system that just sends short status e-mails in it's own format.

Owl

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: February 03 2007 at 09:43 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Well, that is correct. There's no way to change the email format from this automation system?
Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

theowl
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: February 03 2007 at 11:51 | IP Logged Quote theowl

Correct. I have no control over that automation system. So I used a program called PopTray to pole the server and run phwmcd with a x10setstats based on rules I set up. Best thing is, I don't have to monkey around with my existing e-mail set up.

Owl

onhiatus

Posted: December 05 2007 at 17:33 | IP Logged Quote onhiatus

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but what ever happened to the "general email support plugin"? I finally got back to this and cannot find it anywhere.

Did it get released? Where?

Is anyone using it?

Thanks, Tony

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: December 05 2007 at 20:27 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

I think it comes with the latest version. There is emailpi.pbd and emailpi.reg in the plugin folder but no ocx.

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: December 09 2007 at 12:24 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Tony,

TonyNo is correct, the plugin is in the Plugins folder (a PBD type plugin rather than an OCX) but I havent documented it yet. It's got a few problems that I need to work out.

I'll do some work on it and get the docs out and then post back here.

Dave.

onhiatus

Posted: December 10 2007 at 11:49 | IP Logged Quote onhiatus

Thanks Dave. This one's pretty important - this is the first actual request from the wife...

onhiatus

Posted: December 12 2007 at 19:47 | IP Logged Quote onhiatus

Moved to own thread. See Tool to interface with POP3 accounts

Edited by onhiatus - December 12 2007 at 19:58

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version